POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD := WTF? : Re: XKCD := WTF? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD := WTF?
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Nov 2008 16:38:13
Message: <490e1dc5$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> against things like fraud, theft, violence, etc., wouldn't have done
> anything to **stop** the current financial crisis, because nothing the
> companies that caused it did falls into **any** of those categories.

Except to the extent they are regulated banks and the government already
took over banking and money, yeah. I mean, given that you let the
government control printing of the money, confiscating gold, and
eliminating risk for banks, no, there's nothing they did that fall into
those categories. One of the things Ron Paul (as I understand it)
advocates is getting the government out of the business of trying to
regulate the economy in the first place.

> or in any way restrain them from
> loaning out more money than they had, in absurd amounts,

That's where the "fraud" part comes in, you see. Except the government
already passed laws (back in 1916 or so) saying they're allowed to.

> But, somehow, Ron Paul supporters, and other "Libertarians" still insist

Be aware that "libertarians" are like "pagans". There's maybe 3 points
of agreement between any two people in those groups, and the rest is
open to interpretation. :-)

> At this point, the very idea that "any" of them will be elected scares
> the hell out of me.

Also be aware that, GWB notwithstanding, the President doesn't make the
laws in the USA. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)